Grilled Beef Short Ribs & Chimichurri Butter by Derek Wolf
Recipe by Pro Team member, Derek Wolf, @overthefirecooking
Today we're grilling some beef short ribs slowly over the flames while basting with oil. The nice thing about the Y Series Fire Pit is that I can use lump charcoal, so slow roasting beef short ribs is even easier! Serve these guys up with some Chimichurri Butter that will blow your mind and Smashed Potatoes. So freakin delicious!
Servings: 4 People
Prep: 30 minutes
Cook: 1 hour
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
Beef Short Ribs:
Flanken Beef Short Ribs
Coarse Kosher Salt, to taste
4-6 Golden Potatoes
1 cup Olive Oil
3-4 Smashed Garlic Cloves
⅕ tbsp. Red Wine Vinegar
1 cup Unsalted Butter
½ cup Chopped Parsley
2 tbsp. Red Wine Vinegar
2 tbsp. Olive Oil
1 tbsp. Dried Oregano
1 tbsp. Red Chili Flakes
Kosher Salt, to taste
1. Begin by mixing together all the ingredients for the Chimichurri Butter. Mix thoroughly, then set in the fridge until ready to use.
2. Season the outside of your short ribs with Coarse Kosher Salt thoroughly. Set to the side until ready to use.
3. Boil the golden potatoes until softened. Once soft, use the bottom of a plate to “smash” the potatoes into flat, pancake-like discs. Set to the side until ready to cook.
3. Preheat your Y Series to medium heat for direct grilling (about 300°F). Raise the Outpost Grill higher if needed to keep that temperature.
4. Add your short ribs to slowly roast over the flames for about 25-35 minutes—until 130-135°F internal. As the steaks cook, heat up your Oil Baste in a skillet and bring to a low simmer. Flip your steaks over and baste the outside with the oil. Repeat this every 4-5 minutes making sure to flip your steaks over, baste, and watch out for any burning. Once the steaks are done, pull off and let rest for 15 minutes.
5. Add the smashed potatoes to the grill and baste with the same basting oil. Cook for about 2 minutes per side until crispy, then pull off, and let cool.
6. Gently heat up the chimichurri so it's a liquid. Slice up the steak, serve with the potatoes, and drizzle the Chimichurri Butter over top. Enjoy!