Grilled Steak Crostini with Derek Wolf
Recipe by Pro Team member, Derek Wolf, @overthefirecooking
There’s nothing like a savory steak appetizer for game day, and this blue cheese steak crostini is the king of hearty apps.
Butter-basted steaks with whipped blue cheese, chili oil, and chopped chives. Add toasted baguette slices to give you that crunch that compliments the tender, cheesy steak — this recipe from Derek Wolf is one you'll want to try.
Servings: 4 people
Prep: 30 minutes
Cook: 30 minutes
What You'll Need
NY Strip Steaks
Bourbon Prime Seasoning (or your favorite steak seasoning)
Garlic Cloves, smashed
Chili Oil Sauce (see Derek's homemade recipe here)
Whipped Blue Cheese:
Crumbled Blue Cheese
Whipped Cream Cheese
1. Begin by lathering your steaks with oil and seasoning with a generous portion of Bourbon Prime Seasoning. Set in the fridge until ready to cook.
2. In a large bowl, add all the ingredients for the whipped blue cheese and stir until it’s blended — set aside.
3. Start a medium-high heat fire in your fire pit. Add the Outpost Grill and place a cast iron pan on the grill for 2-3 minutes before cooking with some oil to preheat.
4. Once the skillet is hot, add your steaks to sear for 1 minute per side to develop a crust. We want a nice sear for our Grilled Steak Crostini, so make sure the skillet is very hot before you sear these steaks.
5. Next, pull the skillet over to a cooler side of the grill or rotate your grill grate so it’s no longer directly over the coals. Now you’re ready to add the rosemary, thyme, and crushed garlic. Allow that mixture to simmer for 30 seconds.
6. Finally, add in butter and let it melt. Push your steaks to one side of the skillet and place the herbs and garlic on top of the steaks so their flavors will infuse with the butter and steaks as they’re basted.
7. Begin basting the steak with the butter continually for 2 minutes, then flip. Repeat this until your steaks have reached 120°F internal.
8. Be careful of the heat; you don’t want the butter to burn. Once the steaks are done, pull them off and drizzle the butter on top. Let the steak rest until ready to slice.
9. Next, grab a cutting board and slice your baguette into ½ inch slices. Brush the slices of french baguette with olive oil on both sides.
10. Next, raise the grill and cook the slices of bread until they're golden brown. Once toasted, pull the bread off and set it to the side until ready to serve.
11. Slice your steaks into thin strips, going against the grain of the meat. Then begin building your Crostini.
12. Lather each bread slice with the whipped blue cheese, topping with a slice of steak, some chili oil sauce, and chopped chives. Serve on a large platter, and enjoy!