Venison Liver and Mushroom Gravy with Remi Warren
After a successful hunt, professional wild game hunter Remi Warren shows us how to cook what he claims is “the best way to eat deer liver.” Rather than settle for run-of-the-mill liver and onions, Remi takes it up a notch by introducing fried whitetail deer liver with a white wine mushroom gravy.
Liver, especially venison liver, is known for its bitter taste, which makes it one of the most difficult pieces of deer meat to prepare. Remi wasn’t satisfied with the most common way liver is made, in a simple onion stir fry, so he created a recipe he’s able to look forward to every time.
Keep reading and watch the video below for this delicious over-the-fire venison recipe to try after your next successful excursion in the wilderness!
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
Milk (Half and Half will work too)
Dried Sage combined with your favorite seasoning
Parmesan Cheese (black truffle parm is even better)
Half and Half Milk
2 Packets of Brown Gravy Mix
1. Trim and cube the venison liver into bite-sized pieces. Place the pieces into a bowl and cover them with milk and let rest in the fridge for 30 minutes to an hour. This step helps remove the bitter flavor from the meat.
2. Add flour, sage seasoning mixture, garlic salt, and parmesan cheese into a bowl.
3. Coat each piece of liver in the flour mixture and set aside.
4. In a cast-iron kettle, add butter, mushrooms, minced garlic, white wine, and parsley. Sauté.
Pro-Tip from Remi: “As for the amount, add a lot of what you like and a little of what you don't, you really can't mess it up."
5. Mix 1½ cups water, 2 packets of brown gravy mix, and a ½ cup of half and half.
6. Once the mushrooms have cooked down, pour in the two cups of prepared gravy mix.
7. Add fresh thyme to the mushroom gravy.
8. Reduce the heat and prepare to fry the breaded liver.
9. Heat the vegetable oil in a large cast-iron skillet and fry the liver until golden brown. Place onto a paper towel to remove excess oil and then add to the gravy.
10. Mix the mushroom gravy and the fried liver in the kettle and it's ready to serve and enjoy!