Kalbi - Korean Style BBQ Short Ribs
If you’ve never tried Korean-style short ribs, this is your sign to give it a shot (you won’t regret it). This recipe is a refreshing change to the classic savory steak or chicken. With the flavors of brown sugar, garlic, and soy sauce, this is a unique take on ribs that you won’t want to miss out on.
Check out the recipe below, give it a go, and let us know what you think!
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
5 lbs. Short Ribs
1 cup Packed Brown Sugar
1 cup Soy Sauce
½ cup Water
¼ tsp. Black Pepper
1 Garlic Clove, minced
3 Green Onions
2 tbsp. Sesame Oil
Kimchi for garnish (optional)
Butcher's Note: Request flanken beef chuck cut to ½ inch thick across the bone. It may be helpful to place an order from your local butcher ahead of time; this is not a common presliced meat cut.
1. Place the 5 lbs. of short ribs and brown sugar into a large bowl and massage the sugar into the ribs thoroughly.
2. Add soy sauce, water, black pepper, minced garlic, 2-chopped green onions, and sesame oil into a large Ziploc freezer bag. (You may want to split the marinade between two bags depending on the size.)
3. Mix the marinade in the bag and add the short ribs.
4. Release all the air from the bag and zip shut, making sure each piece of meat is submerged in the marinade.
5. Let the ribs marinate in the fridge overnight or for at least 4 hours.
7. Remove the ribs from the bag and place them on the grill over medium/high heat.
8. Grill each side for about 4-5 minutes. The ribs should be pink in color but not bloody near the bone.
9. Once the short ribs are fully cooked and caramelized, remove them from the grill. Garnish with the additional chopped green onion, serve with a side of kimchi, and dig in!
This simple yet delicious recipe pairs great with an outdoor host night. Prepare the marinade the day before, pop the short ribs on the Outpost grill when guests arrive and serve in a matter of minutes. Let us know what you think and share your pictures and feedback with us on Facebook and Instagram. It’s time to get grilling!