Over-the-fire Hot Chocolate
Evenings around the fire are getting chillier as the winter progresses and all you need other than a cracking smokeless fire is a hot drink in hand. Instead of heating a cup of water in the microwave and grabbing a packet of premade hot cocoa mix, try this over-the-fire hot chocolate recipe made from scratch. Not only will your guests appreciate the extra effort, but the rich, creamy hot cocoa will be well worth the few extra minutes.
Check out the recipe below and prepare for this recipe to be a frequent request through the winter months to come.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
½ cup Granulated Sugar
½ cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
1 qt. Whole Milk
1 cup Semisweet Chocolate Chips
2 tsp. Vanilla Extract
Toppings of Your Choice: Whipped cream, peppermint chips, marshmallows, etc.
2. Add the sugar and cocoa powder to the kettle and stir.
3. Pour the milk into the kettle and stir with a whisk making sure no cocoa powder or sugar is sticking to the bottom of the kettle.
4. Add chocolate chips to the kettle and stir.
5. Allow the mixture to heat up and once it reaches a low simmer, add the vanilla.
6. Turn the kettle hook away from the heat or set it aside to serve. Gather the toppings and let your guests add as many marshmallows and toppings as they wish.
Live-Fire Cooking Pro Tip: Roast marshmallows over the fire and pop them in your hot chocolate to add extra marshmallow goodness.